Malai kofta. Malai kofta recipe – Potato paneer koftas served with a delicious creamy curry. Originally, the term kofta refers to meatballs. In India, the vegetarian version of koftas are quite popular.
Malai kofta is a hugely popular dish on Indian restaurant menus all over the world. It is a special occasion food probably because making it is a labor of love and takes time and effort. Malai (meaning creamy in Hindi) kofta is the perfect vegetarian alternative to meatballs. You can have Malai kofta using 33 ingredients and 21 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Table Of Contents
Ingredients of Malai kofta
- You need of For kofta.
- It’s 3 of potato, boiled & mashed.
- It’s 3/4 cup of paneer.
- Prepare 1 of chilli, finely chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of coriander, finely chopped.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cumin powder.
- It’s to taste of salt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of raisins.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of cashew chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of refined flour.
- You need As needed- of Oil for frying.
- Prepare of For onion tomato pure.
- It’s 2 tbsp of oil.
- You need 1 of onion, sliced.
- It’s 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste.
- It’s 2 of tomato, sliced.
- You need 2 tbsp of cashew.
- You need of For curry.
- It’s 1 tsp of butter.
- You need 2 tsp of oil.
- You need 1 tsp of cumin,.
- You need 1 of bay leaf,.
- You need 2 pod of cardamom,.
- Prepare 1 inch of cinnamon,.
- It’s 2 of cloves.
- You need 1 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder.
- Prepare as per taste of Coriander powder.
- You need as required of Turmeric powder.
- It’s as per taste of Salt.
- You need 1/4 cup of cream.
- It’s 1 tsp of kasuri methi, crushed.
- You need 1/4 tsp of garam masala.
- You need as required of Cashew nuts and fresh coriander for garnishing.
Mughalai version: It has mild, slightly sweet, aromatic white gravy. This restaurant style malai kofta is a rich dish. So it is made on special occasions or for special guests. Malai kofta recipe is one of the popular paneer recipes.
Malai kofta instructions
- Firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 3 potato and ¾ cup paneer..
- Also add 1 chilli, 2 tbsp coriander, ¼ tsp cumin powder and ½ tsp salt..
- Add 2 tbsp raisins and 2 tbsp cashew to have crunchy bite in kofta..
- Mix well making sure all the spices are well combined..
- Now add 2 tbsp maida and mix well forming a soft dough. maida helps to absorb moisture and bind the mixture well..
- Prepare a small ball sized kofta by greasing hand with oil..
- Deep fry on medium hot oil..
- Fry until the kofta turn golden brown and crisp.drain off the koftas and keep aside..
- Now, in a pan heat 2 tbsp oil and saute 1 onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste. saute until onions changes colour slightly..
- Further add 2 tomato and saute slightly..
- Now add 2 tbsp cashew and continue to saute until tomatoes soften completely.
- Cool completely and transfer to a blender..
- Blend to smooth paste adding water if required.now filter the mixture to get rid of skin and seeds.filter until silky smooth onion-tomato puree is attained. keep aside..
- In a large kadai heat 1 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp oil.
- Saute 1 tsp cumin, 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 clove until it turns aromatic..
- Further keeping the flame on low, add 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric, ¾ tsp coriander powder and ¼ tsp cumin powder.saute until the spices turn aromatic.
- Further add in the prepared onion tomato puree, 1 tsp salt and mix well..
- Cover and cook until the mixture starts to thicken and oil separates from sides..
- Now add ¼ cup cream and mix on low flame until it’s well combined.further, add ½ cup water and mix well adjusting consistency as required..
- Get the curry to a boil, add 1 tsp kasuri methi and ¼ tsp garam masala. mix well..
- Finally, pour the curry over kofta and garnish with fresh coriander, cashew nuts, malai kofta is ready to enjoy..
Malai Kofta is a very popular Indian vegetarian dish where balls (kofta) made of potato and paneer are deep fried and served with a creamy and spiced tomato based curry. The literal translation of this dish is malai=creamy/buttery and kofta=spiced balls (in this case made of potatoes and paneer). malai kofta recipe Malai Kofta is a super popular Punjabi curry. Deep fried koftas ( made from paneer, potatoes and carrots) are cooked in a rich malai kofta gravy. We show you how to make the koftas for malai kofta and the gravy for malai kofta in detailed step by step photos.