Table Of Contents
- 1 Race Information
- 2 Pumpkin Fun Run for Kids
- 3 Packet Pickup
- 4 Early VIP Pick-up and RaceDay Pick-up option
- 5 Awards
- 6 Bag Check
- 7 Race Weather
- 8 Race Timing / Results
- 9 Parking & Transportation
- 10 Transportation, Parking and Viewing Information
- 11 Transportation
- 12 Parking
- 12.1 Option A – Park in downtown Healdsburg and bus to the start
- 12.2 Option B – Park at Clos du Bois or Trentadue wineries near the start area
- 12.3 Option C – Park at Lake Sonoma Visitors Area and Finish Area
- 12.4 Option D – Park in Santa Rosa and take the bus to the start
- 12.5 Option E – Passenger Drop-off at Fredson Rd.
- 12.6 There is NO PARKING along Fredson Rd., Independence Lane or at Francis Ford Coppola Winery. Cars parked along the route will be towed!
- 12.7 Reduce your CO2 emissions & rideshare!
- 13 Viewing
- 14 Packet Pickup & Expo
- 15 Kids Pumpkin Run & Carnival
- 16 The Course
- 17 View Course Maps
- 18 RACE SAFETY AND REGULATIONS
- 19 Volunteers
Race Start Time: Saturday October 29th, 2011 at 7:15am
Distance: 13.1 miles (point-to-point) USATF Certification #CA09019TK
Start Area: Francis Ford Coppola Winery – 300 Archemides Rd.
Finish: Lake Sonoma (Warm Springs Recreation Area)
Wine & Music Festival: 9:15am to noon (Warm Springs Recreation Area)
Requirements: Must be able to complete half marathon in 3 hours 30 minutes keeping a pace of 15:30 per mile.
Pumpkin Fun Run for Kids
Race Start Time: Saturday Oct 29, 2011 12:30 to 1:30
Start/Finish: Francis Ford Coppola Winery
- 4-6 years – 1/8 mile
- 7-9 years – 1/4 mile
- 10-12 years – 1/2 mile
Unless you sign up in advance for an early or late packet pick-up, it is required that you pick up your race packet in advance at the race expo on Friday at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa from 10:00am to 7:00pm Packets include event information, your bib, timing chip, technical shirt, special offers and more. See Expo page for more information.
Early VIP Pick-up and RaceDay Pick-up option
If you prefer an early or race day packet pick up, you have two additional options. An early packet pick-up is available on Thursday, Oct. 28th (location TBD) from 5:00pm to 8:00pm and includes wine tasting and meet & greet with the staff and fellow runners for $25. Sign up for this option in advance during Race Registration or via post registration “Race Extras” if you’ve already registered for the race.
A race day pickup option is provided on Saturday from 5:30am to 6:30am at the start area for $20. You must register for this option in advance! Sign up for this option in advance during Race Registration or via post registration “Race Extras” if you’ve already registered for the race.Team Information
How can I set up a Team?
We encourage team participation for this race so sign up a group of your friends, running club or health club colleagues, or get your company to sponsor a team. First have a captain register your team name and password online here and pass it on to team members to receive $10 off per entry.
Please make sure you have your team in place before signing up as a team. Once your team is established, you may add members with your password and team name, as long as spots are open. You MUST have a minimum of 6 runners registered by the time the event is sold out. Five runners must complete the race to qualify for the team competition. If you do not have a minimum of six members by the time registration closes, or sells out, each individual will be charged the difference for individual registration and will run as an individual.
- $1,500 in cash and over $8,000 in wine and prizes will be awarded.
- Overall 1st Place M & W = $400 cash prize, double magnum of wine and Ball Watch ($2,000 retail value) and $100 certificate. Second Place receives $200 plus magnum of wine and certificate. 3rd Place = $150 plus magnum of wine and certificate. $400 Bonus for setting course record.
- Wine and other awards to top male and female in half marathon age divisions: 20 & under, 21-24,25-29,30-34,35-39,40-44,45-49,50-54,55-59,60-65,65-69, 70+.
- Top Masters M and W receive wine and certificate
- Team competition awards to top 2 teams
- Best individual and team costume awards!
- Divisions are determined by the runner’s age on race day
You’ll be able to check your clothing at the bag check table near the start line at Francis Ford Coppola Winery. Gear check bags will be provided at the start line for you to write your bib # and last name on the outside of the bag and it will be transported to the finish area for pickup. Please check your clothing items only please. We suggest you do not leave valuables in the bags.
October temperatures are usually very moderate and pleasant during the day and sunshine is the norm. The race start time temps can be chilly (high 40’s to low 50’s) but should warm quickly once the sun rises. The afternoon high temps can range from the 60’s to 80’s but your race time temperatures will likely be cool so bring extra clothing to the start which you can discard at bag check. There will be plenty of running and casual clothing items for sale at the expo and post-race festival.
Race Timing / Results
We use professional ChronoTrack timing. Your race time starts when you reach the starting line and your finish time is then calculated precisely when you cross the finish line. Note: USATF requires use of actual gun time for top overall finish. Results will be posted at the event and are available on-site, and online.
Parking & Transportation
Transportation, Parking and Viewing Information
Buses will leave from multiple locations in or near Healdsburg to the start area at Francis Ford Coppola. We also have three buses leaving from Santa Rosa. There is also parking near the start at Clos Du Bois and Trentadue wineries. Buses will return from the finish at Warm Springs Recreation Area to those locations from 10:00am to Noon. Spectator buses will also be provided to help alleviate traffic on Dry Creek Rd. into the finish area.
For your convenience there are multiple parking areas with transportation provided to/from the start and finish. There is also a convenient drop area near the start line just off the Independence Lane exit off Hwy 101.Vehicles are not allowed on West Dry Creek Rd. and certain portions of Dry Creek Rd. for viewing so we are providing additional spectator buses. Traffic getting into the finish area at Warm Springs Recreation Area can be heavy so encourage taking buses when possible.
Option A – Park in downtown Healdsburg and bus to the start
Park in designated public parking lots or streets in downtown Healdsburg and walk to the Parkpoint Health Club located at 195 Foss Creek Circle to catch a bus to the start. Parkpoint is located a short 5 minute walk from the primary downtown parking lot just off W. North St. There is also parking near Healdsburg Plaza and at Parkpoint. Buses will run every 10 minutes from 5:30am to 6:30am from Parkpoint.
Option B – Park at Clos du Bois or Trentadue wineries near the start area
You may park in designated winery parking at Clos du Bois and Trentadue wineries located near the start at Francis Ford Coppola Winery. Look for their winery signs along Geyserville Ave. near the Independence Lane exit. You may walk to the start from the parking areas (about 1/3 mile). Return buses will run from the finish area to Francis Ford Coppola, Clos du Bois and Trentadue until noon.
Option C – Park at Lake Sonoma Visitors Area and Finish Area
If you prefer to have your car at the finish area you can drive up Dry Creek Rd into the parking lot which will be open at 5:00am and take a bus to the start. Buses will run every 10 minutes from 5:30am to 6:30am. Allow some extra time to drive up to the finish area and take the bus to the start. You should avoid driving into the Warm Springs Recreation area after 8:00am as there will be delays and limited parking in Warm Springs. Spectator buses are provided to avoid traffic congestion.
Option D – Park in Santa Rosa and take the bus to the start
For runners living or staying in Santa Rosa or nearby towns, there are four buses to the start area leaving from the Hyatt Vineyard Creek at 170 Railroad St. in Santa Rosa.
Option E – Passenger Drop-off at Fredson Rd.
If you have someone dropping you off, there is convenient drop area just a short walk from the gates to the winery. Take the Independence Lane exit of Hwy 101 or Geyserville Ave. and there will be a drop area just off Independence Lane.Law officers and volunteers will be there to direct you to the designated drop area.
There is NO PARKING along Fredson Rd., Independence Lane or at Francis Ford Coppola Winery. Cars parked along the route will be towed!
Interested in ride sharing to the Wine Country Half Marathon? Sign up here for an account and become a member of a PickupPal, a ridesharing community. It is free to join and easy to use. PickupPals can track the number of rides given and the number of miles they have traveled via ride sharing and Destination Races can keep track of the amount of carbon emissions we have collectively reduced as a result! To learn more, click HERE.
Vehicles are not allowed to stop on the course so you must view from one of the designated areas if you plan to drive a car. You may also take a spectator bus leaving from just outside the gates at Coppola Winery after the start of the race. Download the transportation schedule for spectator bus times and locations.
Designated Viewing Areas
1. Start area at Francis Ford Coppola Winery. Park at designated spots (Clos du Bois and Trentadue Winery) and walk to the start area and along the first mile. Spectator buses will also be leaving in front of Francis Ford Coppola Winery after the start.See the transportation schedule for stop locations and times.
2. Ridge Vineyards at 650 Lytton Springs Rd. This is a vehicle access spot only. You MUST arrive via Chiquita Rd. to the south and park in a safe place off the road where you can cheer on the runners as they reach the crest of Lytton Springs Rd between mile 2 and 3. You may exit back down Chiquita Rd or wait until all the runners and CHP sag vehicle have past and head east on Lytton Springs Rd. NO access on Lytton Springs Rd when runners are present!
3. Dry Creek General Store.If you are looking for beverage or snack as you sit and watch the runners make their turn onto Lambert Bridge Rd. at mile 5, get to the store early and claim your spot in front of the Dry Creek General Store at 3495 Dry Creek Road. You must arrive before 7:30am using Canyon Rd to Dry Creek Rd. The store opens at 6:30am. You should exit using Dry Creek Rd north to the finish area no later than 8:00am to avoid delays.Two spectator buses will access this location.
4. Yoakim Bridge.You can pick the runners up again as they enter Dry Creek Rd off Yoakim Bridge Rd. just after mile 10. It best to take a spectator bus if you plan to stop and view the race from this location. There is no parking along Dry Creek Rd and access may be restricted by Highway Patrol. There are some wineries along Dry Creek Rd. which may allow you to park in the morning.Three spectator buses will stop at this location.
5. Finish area at Warm Springs Recreation Area near Lake Sonoma. Five spectator buses will shuttle from the start area to the finish area. IMPORTANT: You may drive to the finish area however, due to limited parking and traffic congestion you should arrive at the finish area before 8:15am to see the first runners arrive. After 8:15am the course will become crowded along Dry Creek Rd. and there will be a delay trying to access the finish area and festival. Use Canyon Rd or Dutcher Creek Rd. from Hwy 101 to avoid driving along Dry Creek Rd. south of Canyon Rd.
NO ACCESS. Vehicles are not permitted on the following roads during these times unless of emergency or CHP permission for winery workers or residents:
Fredson Rd. from 7:00am to 8:00am
Lytton Springs Rd from 7:15am to 8:30am
Dry Creek Rd between Lytton Springs Rd and Lambert Bridge from 7:15am to 8:45am
West Dry Creek Rd from Lambert Bridge Rd. to Yoakim Bridge Rd. from 7:30am to 10:00am
Please obey all signs, volunteers and law enforcement vehicles and officers at all times! We are using county roads with private residences, and working wineries and vineyards. Please respect the neighbors and the environment!
Packet Pickup & Expo
Packet Pickup Options
RACE EXPO at Hyatt Vineyard Creek
- Friday Oct. 28th 10:00am to 6:00pm (packet pickup open until 7:00pm)
- Free and open to the public
- Location: 170 Railroad Street, Santa Rosa, CA 95401
Unless you sign up in advance for an early or late packet pick-up, it is required that you pick up your race packet at the race expo on Friday at the Hyatt Vineyard Creek in Santa Rosa. Please bring your email confirmation, or ID. If picking up for a friend please bring their confirmation email, registration number or copy of their ID. Visit our exhibitor booths, seminars, and enjoy wine tasting in the outdoor Vineyard Lounge from 1pm to 5pm. To pick up your packet first find your name and corresponding bib number on the information table at the entrance to the expo, then proceed to the appropriate table with your bib number.
Early Packet Pickup and Wine Reception (location TBD)
- Thursday Oct. 27th 5:00pm to 8:00pm
- Fee $25 online in advance. $30 at the door.
- Sponsored by Destination Races
Join us for welcome wine reception and early packet pickup in San Francisco (exact location TBD) on Thursday evening between 5:00pm and 8:00pm. You will have an opportunity to taste wines from the region as you mingle with other runners and meet the Destination Races staff. Sign up for this option in advance during Race Registration or via post registration “Race Extras” if you’ve already registered for the race.
Race Day Packet Pickup
- Saturday Oct. 29th 5:30am to 6:30am Start Line
- Fee $20 online and you must sign up online in advance.
If you or a friend cannot make either early packet pickup or the EXPO to collect your packet, shirt and other items, you may pay for packet pickup on race morning at Coppola Winery. You must sign up for this option and pay on line $20 in advance during Race Registration or via post registration “Race Extras” if you’ve already registered for the race.
Kids Pumpkin Run & Carnival
Pumpkin Run for Kids
Sponsored by Parkpoint Health Club and Francis Ford Coppola Winery
Join the fun at the Halloween Carnival and Kids Pumpkin Run after the Wine & Music Festival. Run through the vineyards, face painting, Carnival games, pumpkin patch, poster signing. Free admission to the carnival.
Hosted by Francis Ford Coppola Winery
300 Archimedes Lane off Hwy 101
Enter kids ages 4 to 12 in the Pumpkin Run
Cost: $20 – Each child receives a t-shirt and a trick or treat bag. Races start at 12:30pm
Course lengths by age group:
- 4-6 years – 1/8 mile,
- 7-9 years – 1/4 mile
- 10-12 years – 1/2 mile
Registration for this event will open soon
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a more impressive start area for your 13.1 mile jaunt through the wine country. Located just off of Hwy 101 at the Independence Lane exit, Francis Ford Coppola Winery is being renovated into a majestic destination winery, unlike any you’ll ever visit. Parking is not allowed at the winery so please use the designated parking and drop-areas or take the provided transportation to the start.
START at Francis Ford Coppola Winery.
Start area opens at 5:30am.
Race start is 7:15am
Once you pass through the gates at the winery your journey into the Alexander and Dry Creek Valley begins! Vineyards, 22 wineries and aid stations that rock! Photo opportunities galore. You’ll pass 22 wineries on the course! There will be 7 aid stations on course. Be sure to check out aid station #3 next to Quivira Winery where can get a boost of honey or jam paired with Sauvignon Blanc. Feel free to sample the offerings but don’t linger too long, the best part comes after the race! You are running at the most beautiful time of all, as the vines shimmer with autumn colored leaves. Feel free to bring your camera but leave the big telephoto lens behind.
After the race, bask in the sun, lay in the grass, take a dip in the lake, listen to music and sampe the fabulous wines. Its hard to imagine a more enjoyable finish to your wine country journey than relaxing at Warm Springs Recreation area at the base of Lake Sonoma for the Wine & Music Festival. Stay and play, bring the family and have a picnic. There is plenty of room!
View Course Maps
RACE SAFETY AND REGULATIONS
Race participants must obey CHP and course marshals at all times! Thanks to the support of our neighbors and local government agencies, we’ve been allowed access to this fabulous course. Please respect that privilege. Rules of the road:
- Registered Runners Only! Runners without numbers will not be allowed on course
- Do not run in from the sides as it endangers you and other runners
- No roller blades or skateboards or strollers
- Headphones are allowed but must be kept at low volume so verbal instructions and cars can be heard!
- Elites start at the front, faster runners towards the front and slower runners towards the back
- Stay in the right lane (right of cones) whenever possible as traffic may be oncoming in spots
- Runners not keeping a 15:30/mile pace will not be assured traffic protection and must take extra caution.
- No cars and spectators on West Dry Creek Rd during the race!
Thanks for your cooperation!
The Wine Country Half Marathon series prides itself on the enthusiasm of its volunteers, who are so integral the success of the event. Almost 200 people volunteer each year to help with key duties such as registration, product distribution and course monitoring. Each volunteer receives a volunteer event shirt specially designed for each of our races. Plus volunteers get a front row seat for one of the best races in the country.
If you or your organization would like to become a volunteer source or non-profit beneficiary please send an e-mail to [email protected]om