DUDHI / LAUKI KOFTA CURRY. Bottle gourd, known as lauki (ghiya) in Hindi and Dudhi in Gujarati, is generally not a popular vegetable in every household but it makes one of the best Indian curries – Lauki Kofta Curry in which deep-fried koftas (round shaped deep fried spicy dumplings) made of grated bottle gourd, gram flour, rice flour and ginger-garlic paste are cooked in spicy gravy of tomato and cashew nuts. Lauki kofta is a light tomato-based delicious gravy dunked with koftas made from bottle gourd (lauki or ghia or dudhi). First time I heard about and also had lauki ke kofte at my in-law's home.
Bottle gourd or dudhi is a thick, fleshy vine that grows in tropical countries. Today i have for you all " Lauki Kofta Curry / Dudhi Kofta Curry ". a very popular North Indian style curry that's usually enjoyed with Roti / Naan / Jeera Rice / Ghee rice etc . In this curry a delicious melt in mouth koftas are made and served in creamy, rich onion tomato based gravy. You can cook DUDHI / LAUKI KOFTA CURRY using 33 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of DUDHI / LAUKI KOFTA CURRY
- It’s of For Kofta -.
- You need 200 gram of grated lauki.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of carom seeds.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of Hing.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ginger paste.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of garlic paste.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of green chilli paste.
- It’s 1 tbsp of coriander leaves.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of curd.
- You need 1/2 cup of besan.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of soda bicarb.
- You need 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
- Prepare As needed of Oil to shallow fry.
- It’s of For curry -.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of oil.
- It’s 2 tbsp of ghee.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of hing.
- You need 3 of finely chopped onion.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ginger paste.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of garlic paste.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of green chilli paste.
- You need 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
- It’s 1 tbsp of coriander powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of red chilli powder.
- It’s 1.5 tbsp of Garam masala.
- It’s 2 of finely chopped tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of curd.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of coriander leaves.
Lauki Kofta curry is very popular curry recipe from Hyderabad. For those who does not know, Lauki Kofta = deep fried balls made from bottle gourd and some spices. So, lauki kofta curry means fried bottle gourd balls in onion-tomato gravy. Lauki Kofta Curry has these koftas prepared with lauki in a larger proportion, in comparison to potato, to minimize the caloric value of the dish.
DUDHI / LAUKI KOFTA CURRY step by step
- Grate lauki, add salt and keep it aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, squeeze it nicely and take out all the water. Keep this water aside which can be added to the gravy later on..
- Now to the grated lauki mix all the ingredients for kofta. If the mixture is a bit wet, use spoon to make kofta but do not add any extra besan as it will make the koftas bit hard..
- Heat oil on medium flame. Fry all the koftas on medium heat until golden brown. Take out all the koftas on a kitchen towel and keep aside..
- To make curry, heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let it Brown. Now add hing. Add ginger garlic and chilli paste and cook it for a minute. Now add finely chopped onions and cook until light brown in colour. Add all the dry spices to it and mix well. Now add chopped tomatoes to it and cook until oil separates..
- Beat the curd lightly and add it to the gravy. Mix it quickly so that it does not separate..
- Now add 3 cups of water to the gravy. Gravy should be thin as kofta will absorb lots of water. Now cook it for 10 more minutes. Now add sugar and coriander leaves to it and cook for 5 more minutes..
- Keep gravy and kofta separate. At the time of serving, heat the gravy and add koftas to it and heat for 2 more minutes..
- Serve hot lauki kofta curry with paratha..
Also, koftas are not deep fried, but are simmered and cooked in the gravy itself. This makes a tasty combination with Lachha Soya Paratha. how to make bottle gourd kofta curry with detailed photo and video recipe. simple, healthy bottle guard recipe or lauki recipe prepared from deep fried grated bottle gourd with tomato and onion based sauce. this is an ideal curry and and best alternative to traditional malai kofta curry and can be easily served with roti or chapathi. The Lauki/ Doodhi Kofta is a simple, healthy recipe where the koftas are not fried. Traditionally Kofta's are fried and loose it nutritive value.