Malai Kofta. Malai kofta recipe – Potato paneer koftas served with a delicious creamy curry. Originally, the term kofta refers to meatballs. In India, the vegetarian version of koftas are quite popular.
This restaurant style malai kofta is a rich dish. So it is made on special occasions or for special guests. Malai kofta recipe is one of the popular paneer recipes. You can cook Malai Kofta using 33 ingredients and 29 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Table Of Contents
Ingredients of Malai Kofta
- You need 3 of potato / aloo, boiled & mashed.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of paneer / cottage cheese, grated.
- It’s 1 of chilli, finely chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of coriander, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 2 tbsp of raisins.
- You need 2 tbsp of cashew / kaju, chopped.
- You need 2 tbsp of maida / plain flour.
- It’s of oil, for frying.
- You need of FOR ONION TOMATO PUREE:.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of oil.
- It’s 1 of onion, sliced.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ginger garlic paste.
- It’s 2 of tomato, sliced.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of cashew / kaju.
- Prepare of for curry.
- You need 1 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 2 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of cumin.
- It’s 2 pod of cardamom.
- You need 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1 inch of cinnamon.
- You need 2 of clove.
- Prepare 1 tsp of kashmiri red chilli powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
- Prepare 3/4 tsp of coriander powder.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cumin powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 cup of cream / malai.
- It’s 1/2 cup of water.
- You need 1 tsp of kasuri methi, crushed.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of garam masala.
Malai kofta is a hugely popular dish on Indian restaurant menus all over the world. It is a special occasion food probably because making it is a labor of love and takes time and effort. Malai (meaning creamy in Hindi) kofta is the perfect vegetarian alternative to meatballs. It goes very well with naan (tandoor-baked flatbread) or Jeera rice.
Malai Kofta instructions
- Firstly, in a large mixing bowl take 3 potato and ¾ cup paneer..
- Also add 1 chilli, 2 tbsp coriander, ¼ tsp cumin powder and ½ tsp salt..
- Add 2 tbsp raisins and 2 tbsp cashew to have crunchy bite in kofta..
- Mix well making sure all the spices are well combined.
- Now add 2 tbsp maida and mix well forming a soft dough. maida helps to absorb moisture and bind the mixture well..
- Prepare a small ball sized kofta by greasing hand with oil..
- Deep fry on medium hot oil..
- Stir occasionally, making sure the koftas are cooked uniformly..
- Fry until the kofta turn golden brown and crisp..
- Drain off the koftas and keep aside..
- CURRY PREPARATION FOR MALIA KOFTA:.
- Firstly, in a pan heat 2 tbsp oil and saute 1 onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste..
- Saute until onions changes colour slightly..
- Further add 2 tomato and saute slightly..
- Now add 2 tbsp cashew and continue to saute until tomatoes soften completely..
- Cool completely and transfer to a blender..
- Blend to smooth paste adding water if required..
- Now filter the mixture to get rid of skin and seeds..
- Filter until silky smooth onion-tomato puree is attained. keep aside..
- In a large kadai heat 1 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp oil..
- Saute 1 tsp cumin, 2 pod cardamom, 1 bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 clove until it turns aromatic..
- Further keeping the flame on low, add 1 tsp chilli powder, ½ tsp turmeric, ¾ tsp coriander powder and ¼ tsp cumin powder..
- Saute until the spices turn aromatic..
- Further add in the prepared onion tomato puree, 1 tsp salt and mix well..
- Cover and cook until the mixture starts to thicken and oil separates from sides..
- Now add ¼ cup cream and mix on low flame until it's well combined..
- Further, add ½ cup water and mix well adjusting consistency as required..
- Get the curry to a boil, add 1 tsp kasuri methi and ¼ tsp garam masala. mix well..
- Finally, pour the curry over kofta and malai kofta is ready to enjoy..
Malai Kofta is a very popular Indian vegetarian dish where balls (kofta) made of potato and paneer are deep fried and served with a creamy and spiced tomato based curry. The literal translation of this dish is malai=creamy/buttery and kofta=spiced balls (in this case made of potatoes and paneer). malai kofta recipe Malai Kofta is a super popular Punjabi curry. Deep fried koftas ( made from paneer, potatoes and carrots) are cooked in a rich malai kofta gravy. We show you how to make the koftas for malai kofta and the gravy for malai kofta in detailed step by step photos.