Grilled Kofta Kebab. Chicken kofta recipe: step-by-step (print-friendly version below) Make the ground chicken mixture. First, soak a very small piece of sandwich bread in water until super tender, then drain the water and squeeze the bread dry. When I was in Istanbul kebabs were everywhere: shish kebabs: grilled chunks of meat or chicken on a skewer; doner kebabs: meat cooked on a rotisserie and sliced off for serving; and kofta kebabs: ground lamb or beef shaped onto skewers and grilled.
Of all these flavors and dishes, Beef Kofta is probably my favorite. Aromatic, and full of flavor, kofta kebabs always packs a mouthful of delicious meat. Whether its Lamb, Beef, or Chicken, making a kofta kebab recipe at home is very simple. You can have Grilled Kofta Kebab using 22 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Grilled Kofta Kebab
- It’s 500 gms of fresh minced mutton with fat.
- It’s 1 of medium white or yellow Onion roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 of medium white or yellow Onion roughly chopped.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves.
- It’s 1 bunch of Coriander leaves, stems remove.
- It’s 2-3 of fresh green Chillies.
- You need 1 slice of bread, toasted until browned and soaked in water.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Arabic allspice powder,can substituted with garam masala.
- It’s 1 tsp of paprika powder/red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Cardamom powder.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Sumac powder/Mango powder can be substituted.
- It’s 1/4 of th teaspoon Nutmeg powder.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of Black pepper crush.
- You need to taste of Salt.
- Prepare Little of oil to brush the grill.
- It’s For of serving:.
- It’s As required of Any kind of flat bread you like.
- You need As required of Cucumber wedges.
- Prepare As required of Tomato wedges.
- It’s As required of Onion wedges.
- You need Handful of Chopped Coriander leaves.
- Prepare As required of Tahini or Hummus dip.
As you probably know, kebabs simply means food on a stick. Fewer people know what kofta is. Kofta is a meatloaf or meatball entree. When it's put on a stick and grilled, it's a kofta kebab!
Grilled Kofta Kebab step by step
- Soak wooden skewers in water for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from water when you are ready to begin..
- Toast a piece of sliced bread and soak in water for until it becomes tender. I used 3 small pieces..
- In a food processor or mincer, add in roughly chopped onion, garlic, green chillies and coriander leaves or parsley. Mince them well..
- Add the minced mutton, bread (be sure to squeeze out the water completely), and the spices. Run the processor until all is well combined forming a sticky homogeneous mixture..
- Cover and keep aside for 1/2 an hour so that all the flavours well incorporated to the meat..
- Line a big dish with cling film and make ready the skewers. I also used some iron skewers along with wooden skewers..
- Remove the meat mixture from the food processor after resting time and place in a large bowl. Take a handful portion of the meat mixture and mould it on a skewer..
- Repeat the process. For best results, make sure each kofta kebab is about 1 inch in thickness..
- Place the kofta kebabs on the lightly oiled, heated grill pan. Grill on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on one side, turn over and grill for another 3-4 minutes. You can also grill them in the preheated oven. I don’t have grill option in my oven so used a grill pan..
- Serve the kofta kebabs immediately with your favourite bread, tahini/hummus and some cucumber, tomatoes, onions and coriander or parsley..
Several eastern European and western Asian cultures have their own kofta recipes. Tools To Make Grilled Ground Lamb Kofta Kebab: Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe. Bamboo Skewers for Grilling – These are mandatory for this recipe, so make sure you have a stash at home, or order here so you can make a batch of lamb kofta kebab asap! Kafta, kofta, kifta, however you spell it, it amounts to the same thing; a ground meat kebab. Traditionally made of lamb, this grilled beef kafta as the name suggests is made of beef.