Malai kofta. Malai kofta recipe – Potato paneer koftas served with a delicious creamy curry. Originally, the term kofta refers to meatballs. In India, the vegetarian version of koftas are quite popular.
Malai kofta is a hugely popular dish on Indian restaurant menus all over the world. It is a special occasion food probably because making it is a labor of love and takes time and effort. Malai (meaning creamy in Hindi) kofta is the perfect vegetarian alternative to meatballs. You can have Malai kofta using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Table Of Contents
Ingredients of Malai kofta
- It’s 250 gm of Paneer.
- It’s 1 of Potato.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of Corn starch.
- You need 1/2 cup of Onion tomato paste.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 1 of Cinnamon stick.
- It’s 2 of green cardamom.
- You need 2 of Cloves.
- You need as needed of Oil and butter.
- You need to taste of Red chilli powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of corinder powder.
- You need 1/2 tsp of garam masala.
Mughalai version: It has mild, slightly sweet, aromatic white gravy. This restaurant style malai kofta is a rich dish. So it is made on special occasions or for special guests. Malai kofta recipe is one of the popular paneer recipes.
Malai kofta step by step
- For gravy : First, make the gravy. Take onion, tomato, ginger, garlic, cashew nuts and water in a saucepan. Turn the heat on medium.Let is simmer for 15 minutes..
- Onions and tomatoes will get cooked and become soft. Let it cool down a little bit. Then make a smooth puree out of it using a blender or grinder..
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon stick. Fry for 40 seconds, you will get a nice aroma of spices..
- Add prepared puree, sprinkle some salt and mix. Let it cook till all the moisture is evaporated. and it starts to leave the sides of the pan. While cooking, it may splutter..
- Mix well. Adjust the water quantity as per your liking gravy consistency. Let it simmer on low-medium for 5 minutes.Then add crushed kasoori methi and garam masala. Mix well. Turn off the stove. Gravy is ready.
- Balls : Take grated paneer, boiled, mashed potatoes, corn flour, garam masala, cashews, raisins and salt in a bowl.Knead nicely and makes ball out of it and deep fry in oil till brown..
- Add balls to gravy and you are done !!!!.
Malai Kofta is a very popular Indian vegetarian dish where balls (kofta) made of potato and paneer are deep fried and served with a creamy and spiced tomato based curry. The literal translation of this dish is malai=creamy/buttery and kofta=spiced balls (in this case made of potatoes and paneer). malai kofta recipe Malai Kofta is a super popular Punjabi curry. Deep fried koftas ( made from paneer, potatoes and carrots) are cooked in a rich malai kofta gravy. We show you how to make the koftas for malai kofta and the gravy for malai kofta in detailed step by step photos.